Monday 23 February 2015

Our experiments with Flintobox

Jr is a relatively quiet fellow who definitely prefers his books and cars to running around on the playground with friends. He also loves watching the same rhymes over and over again on my phone, curled up in the fetal position on the cold floor. While we have significantly reduced the amount of time he spends with my phone, I despaired of ever finding another activity that kept him as hooked as mindless rhymes on cracked cell phone screens.

And then I stumbled upon Flintobox on Facebook. "No more struggles to keep your child away from TV or gadgets while preparing dinner or quickly finishing up an office file" declared the website. And I was immediately hooked. Anything that promised to get my son away from my phone had my attention. 



Flintobox is an award winning startup that sends you gorgeous, well thought-out activity boxes every month. Each month deals with a specific theme (colours, space etc). These boxes are packed with fun activities that children from 3-7 can either do on their own or spend quality time with their parents over. That sounded right up my alley so I wasted no time in ordering February's box as a sample.

About 10 days later we received a beautifully packed Flintobox with Jr's name emblazoned on the side. The theme for the month was Space, and each item in the box was specifically designed to teach young kids more about things space-related in a fun and engaging way. The box contained :

  • Two cardboard tubes, concave and convex lenses for a DIY telescope.
  • A fun jigsaw puzzle full of planets and rockets.
  • A box, rechargeable flashlight, stickers and printouts of constellations that can be put together to make a projector.
  • A story book about space.
I was very impressed by all the items in it, and couldn't wait to get started. The instructions provided were clear and simple, the pictures were bright and engaging and everything was beautifully packed. So our Valentine's day was spent with Flintobox as Jr and his father happily assembled the telescope. The skills required for this were too much for my 2 1/2 yr old, and he had his work cut out for him simply trying to peer through his "teyekkope" with one eye closed.

However the Build Your Own Projector was a huge hit with him. He had absolutely no trouble in following every step -  from punching out the stars in the constellations to decorating the "projector" with the stickers provided. He absolutely loves this, and we have spent many happy moments projecting constellations to our walls and ceilings. The kit also comes with blank papers that we can punch our own designs on, and Jr has really gone to town on them!

The jigsaw puzzle was a little beyond his abilities too, but I loved it.It was evident that each box contained activities suitable for kids of different age groups, and different interests. However the story book wasn't up to scratch.

So although we still have a long way to go before my son is fully weaned from my cell phone, I would say the Flintobox was pretty much a hit with Amma and Jr. I have packed away everything except the projector for now, to be taken out once Jr is a few months older. 

But we will be having a lot more Flintoboxes around for sure!



That's Jr and his father using our Flintobox telescope to check out the neighbour's Valentine's Day activities :) 


Details

1 Month's subscription - Rs 1095
3 Month's subscription - Rs 2985
6 Month's subscription - Rs 5370

The Flinto Blog is also a great resource for entertaining, educational activities to do with your child. The Moon-Phase Hopscotch game looks like a fun way to spend the afternoon with Jr.

4 comments:

  1. thanks to u, my worry abt having a phone -addicted toddler has already come down... keep sharing all ur observations n discoveries... there r way too many moms out there who need help n I'm sending them ur blog link

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ashika! I intend to push myself to come up with more ways of keeping my son as far away from gadgets as is practically possible.So please do keep checking this space for more updates! :D

      Delete
  2. I like your all post. You have done really good work. Thank you for the information you provide, it helped me a lot. crsoftz.com I hope to have many more entries or so from you.
    Very interesting blog.
    Flinto Crack

    ReplyDelete