Saturday 28 February 2015

Lunar Lesson Part 2 - Paper Mache Moon

This week, Jr and I kept ourselves busy with all things Moon related. As always, Albie and the Space Rocket and Moon, Ramu and I have been read over and over and over again. We also kept ourselves busy with our Phases of the Moon Hopscotch game (more on that later).

I was about to move on to another topic when I came across this rather cool paper mache craft that I thought could be stretched to fit our theme for the week. This activity was far easier than I had assumed it would be, and Jr had a blast! 


Paper Mache Moon 



Materials Needed


  • Balloon
  • Glue
  • Disposable bowl and stirrer or paint brush
  • Newspaper
  • Tissue Paper (optional)
  • Lights (optional)


How to make it



Begin by tearing the newspaper into small strips. Jr initially couldn't understand why I wanted him to rip paper, considering I've generally made it very clear that paper must be treated with respect. That perhaps explains the slightly doubtful look on his face :)





In the disposable bowl, mix two parts glue to one part water. This is the paper mache paste.




Next, dunk the strips of paper into this paste and wipe off the excess. Then stick these on to the balloon. Jr happily joined in all of these steps.





This is what our balloon looked like once we were done smothering it in newspaper bits.




I also gave it another layer of tissue paper. But you could opt to skip this part.



We then dried it over night. And this morning, Jr and I popped the balloon rather ceremoniously. We then stuck our Moon on an unused lamp - and voila!



Ok..Ok... so it doesn't really look like the Moon! :D But Jr and I are super thrilled with it! We also loved the way it looked with fairy lights inside it. And now I'm seriously considering making a more colourful, refined version of this to hang in our balcony :)

One simple craft, so much joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment